These are the programs* of which I am aware:
- The Association for Death Education and Counseling offers both the Certification in Thanatology (CT) and the Fellow in Thanatology (FT).
- Undergraduate students at The University of Rhode Island may declare a “minor” in thanatology (study of loss, death, and grief).
- Alan Wolfelt's Center for Loss and Transition offers training courses leading to a Death and Grief Studies Certificate.
- With a focus on traumatic grief, Dr. Joanne Cacciatore offers Compassionate Bereavement Care® Certification, sponsored by her Center for Loss and Trauma in partnership with the MISS Foundation and the Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Family Trust.
- The American Grief Academy offers several different certifications: the Grief Service Provider, the Grief Support Group Facilitator, the Cemetery Grief Service Provider, the Military Grief Support Provider, the Insurance Industry Grief Support Provider, and the Grief Management Specialist.
- King's University College at the Western University in London, Ontario (Canada) offers a Certificate Program in Grief and Loss Studies, as well as minor and major modules as part of an undergraduate degree in Thanatology. Most of its Thanatology courses are available by distance (email) education.
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison offers a Grief Support Specialist Certificate training program for counselors, clergy, coaches, educators and other healthcare personnel.
- The CMI Education Institute sponsors excellent training programs and continuing education offerings in the field of grief and loss.
- The Grief Recovery Method offers its own certification training program, based on the work and writings of John W. James and Russell Friedman.
- The Creative Grief Coaching Studio, co-curated by Kara LC Jones and Cath Duncan, offers the Creative Grief Coaching Certification Program.
- The National Center for Crisis Management, in collaboration with the American Academy of Experts in Traumatic Stress, offers members the opportunity to achieve certification in traumatic stress and crisis management specialty areas, including Certification in Bereavement Trauma (CBT)
- The Spiritual Care Programme offers the Contemplative End-of-Life Certificate Program, inspired by Sogyal Rinpoche's The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, bringing together authentic and practical contemplative resources with the knowledge and skills of modern hospice and palliative care.
If you’d like Grief Healing Blog updates delivered right to your inbox, you’re cordially invited to subscribe to our weekly Grief Healing Newsletter. Sign up here.
- Therapist Credentials: What Do All Those Letters Mean?
- Certification Guide (Search for the words Grief or Bereavement)
- Death Studies Bring New Life for Hood Graduates